jueves, 11 de febrero de 2010

St George and the dragon



Fuente of Paolo Uccello’s Saint George and the Dragon

I just saw a wonderful movie on Film and Arts that was new to me: The Ebony Tower with Laurence Olivier, Roger Ress, Greta Scacchi and Toya Willcox.

Olivier is an aging painter, Breasley. I must admit I sympathized more with his character than I did with Ress’, in which he assumes the personage of a younger artist and art critic called David. The young man visits the old one at his country house somewhere in France. I won’t go into the inevitable romance because the interesting part of the film was the encounter and contrast between Breasley, a figurative artist and the much younger and abstract painter David.

Breasley is totally non-intellectual, and his work seems to flow from the French-Celtic woods he chooses to live in with his two young nymph-muses. The movie representations of his work were in fact interesting. I didn’t recognize them, but they may have really been pieces taken from someone’s work. (It didn’t occur to me to check for that in the final credits.) David cannot understand Breasley; he even prudishly disapproves of his rakish fantasy life.

I had the feeling I should have sided with David, but I couldn’t. I rather understood Breasley’s sarcastic comparison of his house guest with Uccello’s St George where the knight seems to charge courageously at the princess’ over-large house-pet that she holds on a leash. His attempts at “liberating” her become ridiculous. The dragon is, of course, Breasley and the supposedly enslaved princess is Diana, one of the girls who accompanies the old man.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario